12 Writing and Grammar Tips for Bloggers

Discussion in 'Bloggers Forum' started by CocoFusion, Oct 27, 2014.

1. CocoFusion

CocoFusion UF Member

Reading some blogs make me cringe! Their sentence construction, grammar usage and comprehension are something even a fifth standard kid will find awful. You’ll find every blogger propagating the necessity of quality content. However, most of them fail to maintain the necessary quality standards on their own blog. The primary lack is inadequate language knowledge.

I won’t teach English Language here but what I want to share are some essential grammar tips for bloggers. Erroneous grammar usage creates negative impression about the blog and hurts its branding in the long run.

It’s not that you’ve to become the next language genius and no one is expecting impeccable language use; however, there are certain basic standards. You’re good if you can maintain the basic standards and with the changing landscape of advertising, we need to be ahead of the game.

So, read these grammar tips and abide by them on your blog.

Grammar Tips for Bloggers
    Here we go:

1) Your / You’re
    ‘Your’ is a possessive pronoun and ‘You’re’ is the contraction of ‘you are’.

Examples:

• Your blog
    • You’re my best friend
    2) There / Their / They’re
    ‘There’ implies going somewhere and ‘Their’ means referring to people. ‘They’re’ is the contraction of ‘they are’.

Examples:

• The thieves are hiding there.
    • Have you got their goods?
    • They’re so talkative.
    3) Its / It’s
    ‘Its’ is a possessive pronoun and ‘It’s’ is the contraction of ‘it is’ or ‘it has’.

Examples:

• It’s an apple.
    • The dog overturned its water bowl.
    [​IMG]
    Grammar Tips for Bloggers​

4) Than / Then
    You use ‘than’ if you’re comparing anything and use ‘then’ is other instances. ‘Then’ often implies a certain point of time.

Examples:

• An apple has more nutrition than an orange.
    • Then the group of friends went to the temple.
    5) Affect / Effect
    ‘Affect’ is a verb and ‘Effect’ is a noun. Both of them ‘imply’ something so the differences are subtle. Most bloggers and writers confuse between them.

Examples:

• Poor grammar has a negative effect on writing skills.
    • Poor grammar will affect your potential to gain more assignments.
    6) Less / Fewer
    Use ‘Fewer’ if you can count it and ‘Less’ when its uncountable or immeasurable.

Examples:

• Robert sent fewer job applications than last week.
    • Johnson has less incentive to work harder.
    7) Complement / Compliment
    ‘Complement’ is added when you add or supplement something. ‘Compliment’ is praising someone.

Examples:

• Max complimented Sarah on her beautiful appearance.
    • The Genesis framework complements WordPress.
    8) Principal / Principle
    ‘Principal’ indicates the highest of ranks, the head of an organisation or the main participant. ‘Principle’ implies a law or standard.

Examples:

• Robin is the principal shareholder in the company.
    • The banking system operates of various principles.

How to Improve Your Grammar & Writing?
    If you write blogs, either for your own or someone else’s, and your writing sucks, it’s time to get back to school!

As a content creator, it is your responsibility to offer near-perfect content because blog owners and other content marketing agencies don’t have the time or resources to put a piece of article or blog through layers of editorial standard.

They expect a nearly flawless masterpiece!

In this section, I am going to share some online grammar and writing style guides. Read them.

1) Grammarly.com
    A next-gen automated proofreader, the free tool checks your content against 250 grammar and styling features! Just copy and paste the content, and the software runs it through more than 9 billion documents within minutes.

2) Daily Writing Tips
    Signup with their newsletter and get a daily dose of grammar, spelling and vocabulary tips right in your inbox.

3) Grammarphobia.com
    Stewart Kellerman and Patricia T. O’Conner have spent half a century as editors and writers. They are the authors of some top books on English language. Their website publishes content on grammar, usage, etymology and more.

4) Grammar Girl: Quick and Dirty Tips
    This is an award-winning website offering creative and engaging grammar exercises, helping you learn grammar rules, spellings, word selections and more. They also have a weekly podcast worth signing up for.

Writing is an extremely satisfying and creative art. If you’re unsure about writing, read Lisa Killman’s What Not to Do as a Writer blog where she shares her journey as a writer and the mistakes she made. The stories are inspirational in a big way. Or, take this quiz from About.com.

Endnote

The moot point is if you want to become a writer and express it through the medium of blogging, read all the writing and grammar tips for bloggers.

2. southernguy

southernguy UF Member

I must admit that Grammarly has helped me improve my writing skills, not only does it correct spelling, it also helps one expand their vocabulary which was really helpful for me when I first began writing for my own personal blog, in fact I just started a personal blog for my cousin about the benefits of breast feeding and supplements and in comparison between Grammarly and a regular spell check using word and there is a night and day difference and Grammarly works much better.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)